fan/shroud help - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

fan/shroud help

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > V8 Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2012, 09:52 PM   #1

User is: OffLine
fan/shroud help

I have an e-fan that is "okay", but really need a better setup. Problem is clearance. I have a forward mounted Griffin radiator, but even forward mounted I have only 1.75" clearance between the radiator and the threaded boss on the water pump (one that a mechanical fan threads on). The core on the radiator is 15.5" x 22.5". I found some shroud/fan kits, but looking at them I don't think I would have clearance for the water pump pulley. So my question is does anyone make a fan shroud that isn't already cut for a fan? One that I can place my fans wherever I want and cut it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2012, 09:58 PM   #2

Re: fan/shroud help

Walker radiator makes "blank" shrouds. They are sold by dimension or to fit their radiator sizes. FYI.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:09 PM   #3

This Walker? I'm not seeing anything on the site.

http://www.walkerradiatorworks.com
Old 04-10-2012, 04:18 PM   #4

I've read of guys going to a restaurant supply store and buying an aluminum sheet pan that best fits their radiator dimensions. then cutting a hole in the center or wherever for the fan to pull air through.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #5

Yeah, that Walker. I'm not familiar with their site but a few model numbers are WS-50, WS-55, WS-55A. I work at a shop where we sell the shrouds (I only work Mondays). If you will post the dimensions you need, next Monday I'll check to see if they make one to fit your need. Or you can try the cookie sheet trick.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:55 AM   #6

The dimensions are 15.5"x22.5", preferably 0.5" deep. I did pick up two heavy duty 15x10 bake pans today though that I'm going to stick up to it and have a look. If I don't like it I'll bring them back.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #7

Well if all you have is 1/2", the Walker shrouds will be too deep. I think the minimum depth they make is like 1 1/2". You may not have any other choice than to go the Resturant Supply bit. One other trick you may try even with the cookie sheets is to cut a couple of rectangular holes into the blank area (that not covered by the fan) of the "shroud" and pop rivet a rubber flap door (hinged at the top like a doggy door). These flaps allow air to pass through the shroud when the vehicle is in motion and to "suck" closed when the fan(s) is/are running. Another consideration would be to run two small puller fans on either side of the waterpump pulley, with smaller cookie sheets/shrouds. Just sayin'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.