Explorer rearend - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

Explorer rearend

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > V8 Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2010, 10:49 PM   #1

Explorer rearend

What do you have to do exactly to get the rearend under a 95 s-10 and which one should I be looking for at the salvage yard,any help would be great thanks
Old 06-16-2010, 11:09 PM   #2

Re: Explorer rearend

your looking for a 97-2000 they came with different ratios there is a tag on the rear end stating what ratio it is. I just picked one up for 150 from a local you pull it and it has 3.73s in it. The rear is 6" wider than a factory s10 rear some people cut the housing and use two short axles but I am narrowing mine 1.5" per side from a factory rear hope this helps. Jared
Old 06-17-2010, 12:16 AM   #3

A less hands on thing to do to these is get rims with a huge backspacing. The C5/C6 vette rims with the 7-7.5" back spacing will fit nicely, and you can run an 11" tire on your truck. You cant really lower it after that though.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:09 AM   #4

this info is very helpful so far,what do you have to cut or drill to mount it in the s 10 are the spring pads in the right place and just need to be drilled or moved.I am not going to narrow mine so I will be running offset wheels like you mentioned
Old 06-17-2010, 12:15 PM   #5

the spring pads are welded to the axle tube, the stock location on the explored rear will work in your application. If you wanted you could cut and re weld the spring pads in the right place.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:14 PM   #6

so basically all I have to do is get the rearend and bolt it in
Old 06-19-2010, 04:59 AM   #7
i saw what you did there!

User is: OffLine

exploder axles are supposed to be direct fit other than shock mounts and overall width and the wheel bolt pattern on the hubs(4 1/2" small ford pattern)

modify the shock mounts and youll be ok to go

parking cables is another story but most ppl dont reconnect these anyways

and i wouldnt,

unless maybe i had a manual trans

many exploder axles were 3.27 these years

great for highway and cruising both especially with overdrive trans

if my truck last long enouh and pukes the 7.6" axle i will go with an exploder axle and more leaf springs too

or possibly a durango 12 bolt 3.55 axle in which we have replaced many of recently,

replaced one of these a few days ago for a guy with a 2001 durango

and have done severa others this year

something about bearings and/or puking all the oil out of them

making noise,

common issue it seems

Last edited by fast68chevy; 06-19-2010 at 05:02 AM.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:19 PM   #8

Great info, I'm going to be getting an Explorer rear soon but which ratio to get 3.73 or 4.10, and does the front have a posi stock or not?
Old 06-21-2010, 09:09 AM   #9
Longbeds FTMFW

Any rear from 93-98 will work, but 96-up got disc brakes. Internally they are the same

When you reaed the ID tag on the rear, if it says 3L73 or 3L55 or 4L10, then it is a locker. The open rears say 3 55, 3 73, 4 10

they also came as a 3.55. I have never seen a 3.27 8.8 under an Exploder. The 4.10's DO exist but seem to be more difficult to find.

Narrowing each side of the rear 1.5" will be more expensive than wacking one side 3", and it will also keep the center section offset. Part of the reason a lot of guys wack 3" off one side is to get the center section almost centerd under the truck. The short side axle from any Explorer rear will work, disc or drum makes no difference.

The stock spring pads are NOT in the right position, you have to wrap the leafs in order to use them. Cut all the link mounts and and leaf pads off the Exploder rear, then re weld new pad in the right position.

When you get your donor rear from the junkyard, you will also need the flange from the donor driveshaft. You will then need a conversion u-joint from the parts store.

You will need to get a brake line adapter too. It is like $5.

Shock mounts have nothing to do with it. Your shock will still mount off the u-bolt plate rgardless of what rear you use. Admittedly, I used the stock s10 ubolt plates and opened the holes up for the bigger u bolts

Last edited by gunther19820; 06-21-2010 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:01 PM   #10

Thanks for the info that is very helpful.I will be taken a trip to the bone yard when this dam heat lets up a little bit........
Old 06-21-2010, 06:33 PM   #11
Longbeds FTMFW

Quote: Originally Posted by gasfreak
Thanks for the info that is very helpful.I will be taken a trip to the bone yard when this dam heat lets up a little bit........
Try to not trash the u-bolts when you get it from the yard. Unless you are running drop blocks, then it doesnt matter...but I discovered it was a special order for any local parts store to get 3.5" u bolts for the exploder rear.

Also, some Exploders came with a Girdle style cover, if you can find one of those it would be sweet!

When I narrowed mine, I tried drilling out the rosette welds, and heating up the center section to slide the tube out. No luck. You will most likely have to cut the tube and section it. I can send you pics of mine if you like.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:44 AM   #12

just FYI i the L in 3L55 stand for limited slip diff not locker.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:49 AM   #13

Quote: Originally Posted by gunther19820
Try to not trash the u-bolts when you get it from the yard. Unless you are running drop blocks, then it doesnt matter...but I discovered it was a special order for any local parts store to get 3.5" u bolts for the exploder rear.

Also, some Exploders came with a Girdle style cover, if you can find one of those it would be sweet!

When I narrowed mine, I tried drilling out the rosette welds, and heating up the center section to slide the tube out. No luck. You will most likely have to cut the tube and section it. I can send you pics of mine if you like.
I'd be interested in some pics of your rear end.
The diff, not your ass.
knightrulz@hotmail.com
Old 06-22-2010, 09:18 AM   #14
Longbeds FTMFW

Quote: Originally Posted by 88GreenMachine
I'd be interested in some pics of your rear end.
The diff, not your ass.
knightrulz@hotmail.com
sent.
Only ones of my ass though
Old 06-22-2010, 10:09 PM   #15

yea if you dont mind can you send some pics of your setup to cooldaddy@insightbb.com and thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.