camel hump heads? - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

camel hump heads?

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > V8 Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2006, 02:18 AM   #1

User is: OffLine
camel hump heads?

i purchased a sb350 for my s10 and it came with a set of camel hump heads already installed. i have heard of the camel hump head but have never understood the meaning of the term given. i searched the forum and didnt come up with any answers i just want to know what a camel hump head is and i know its probably a dumb question to ask but i figure i should probably find out sooner or later. thanks for the help it is much appreciated.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:30 AM   #2
Does NOT Work For CIA

Re: camel hump heads?

Double Hump "fuelie" Heads, Probably some of the best heads for the "old school" technolgy.

build them up and it should be a great choice for you.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:39 AM   #3

look on the front of the head where the head meets the block youll see a casting mark there that has 2 humps sorta looks like a u thats flat on the bottom theres your double hump or camel hump depending on what part of the country your in
Old 08-29-2006, 02:42 AM   #4
is a fungineer

Camel humps (or fuelie heads, or double humps) are called that because they have a double-hump-shaped casting mark. They were primarily used on 60's to early 70's "performance" factory engines. The casting numbers would be 461, 461x, 462, 291, 186 and 492 heads, I believe. These are the best-performing of stock heads, and most likely to be a 2.02/1.6 valve combo of any stock head.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:46 AM   #5

oh ok yeah they do have that so i understand i havent yet cleaned the motor up yet but i will get back to you with the serial number on the heads. So these are pretty good heads. im looking for some decent performance. it also has a edelbrock performer rpm intake along with a 650 carb and a lunati cam.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:50 AM   #6
Does NOT Work For CIA

Quote: Originally Posted by rcfreak46
oh ok yeah they do have that so i understand i havent yet cleaned the motor up yet but i will get back to you with the serial number on the heads. So these are pretty good heads. im looking for some decent performance. it also has a edelbrock performer rpm intake along with a 650 carb and a lunati cam.
these were and are still the shit when it comes to stock heads. like I said find some one who what they are looking at and let her fly. you should not be disappointed.
Old 08-29-2006, 02:54 AM   #7

sweet so i really apreciate the help and i will keep you guys posted.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:49 AM   #8

Are these heads untouched original? If so you might want to consider selling them, not for the fact that they are worth tons of money but for the fact that you'll need to put a lot of money into them. Those heads were made before unleaded fuels, if you want to run them in an engine with todays gas, your going to need to have hardened valve seats installed. Not to mention you are going to need custom brackets to intall your accessories because they do not have bolt holes on the fronts of the heads.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:00 AM   #9
LSx and V8 Mod

Wow, a lot of mis-information here. Let me clear it up for you....

YES
Quote: Originally Posted by ka_jd7and1
Camel humps (or fuelie heads, or double humps) are called that because they have a double-hump-shaped casting mark. They were primarily used on 60's to early 70's "performance" factory engines. The casting numbers would be 461, 461x, 462, 291, 186 and 492 heads, I believe

im looking for some decent performance. it also has a edelbrock performer rpm intake along with a 650 carb
They bump your compression a bit. Flow isnt any better
Quote: Originally Posted by Prostreet10
Double Hump "fuelie" Heads, Probably some of the best heads for the "old school" technolgy.
He litterally means the mid 1960s.

NO
these were and are still the shit when it comes to stock heads.

build them up and it should be a great choice for you.
Dont rebuild them, just buy a brand new set of Vortecs($550)
Quote: Originally Posted by ka_jd7and1
These are the best-performing of stock heads

and a lunati cam.
Get a Comp, its all they do and they do it best IMO.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:16 AM   #10

:thumbsup:
Old 08-29-2006, 05:37 PM   #11

I agree get a set of vortecs. The double hump heads were good in the day but you have to get hardened seats put in them and they dont have mounting holes in them for your alternator and such. I had a set on a camaro and they were a pain. I spent a lot on machine work to get them up to snuff and they leaked oil throught the mounting hole that had been drilled for the alternator. I would sell those heads to someone who wants them and just buy a set of vortec heads or one of the aftermarket offerings.
Old 08-29-2006, 06:12 PM   #12

Much better choices out there, top of the game in the 60's. Vortecs will out flow them. I would sell them and put that money toward one of the better sets out.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:35 PM   #13
gtfo now

Damn, Sweet beat me to it, lol. I've been on a jet for 30 hours, though...

Yes, double humps WERE the shit back in the 60s. If you were doing a factory rebuild/parts matching type thing, great, but if it's going in an S10 then it's out of the question.

And yes, if they're stock double humps, they will need new seats to deal with todays unleaded fuel, so they'll already cost you some cash in the machine shop.

The Vortecs, to date, are some of the best factory heads. They'll require a new intake, true, but you don't have to take them to the machine shop.

It's all a matter of money vs. power.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:08 PM   #14
i dont have feelings

dont forget to drill an extra steam hole in the front of the passenger side head if you put vortec heads on an old block =]
Old 08-29-2006, 09:24 PM   #15
is a fungineer

Quote: Originally Posted by seafarer12
I agree get a set of vortecs. The double hump heads were good in the day but you have to get hardened seats put in them and they dont have mounting holes in them for your alternator and such.
Let's find out which heads he has, before we go making rash decisions.

First off, not all camel humps were accessory-holeless. The 186's and 492's should have accessory holes from the factory.

Second, these heads are on a complete motor that was purchased. I would like to know if the machine work for hardened seats was already done before the motor was put together, or if they would need to be done. (I assume, due to the Edelbrock intake, that the motor has been rebuilt at some point.)

Yes, Vortecs would make more power, but it would require a whole new intake, and as far as my research took me, are kinda spendy. Also, since he already has the camel hump heads, it would be cheaper to get the machine work done (if needed) than buy complete new aftermarket heads or buy Vortecs.

But that's my opinion, I don't know what you're trying to do with the truck- daily driver or power monster? I prefer parts that were factory and easily junkyardable, but that's because I race a dirt track car on a very small budget, and pulling my own shit is better and cheaper for me and my application. If you tell us what the truck will be doing, people may be able to give you a more informed answer.

-Jess
Old 08-29-2006, 11:16 PM   #16
LSx and V8 Mod

I had to rebuild my #461s.... $700 later I had a new set of old heads....
Old 08-30-2006, 02:02 AM   #17

well i called the guy today and he gave me more info on the motor. it has been rebuilt with H beam rods and a forged pistons and he said he couldnt remember but he thinks it was punched out .030. he says that the heads didnt come on the motor and he had them machined and ported with new hardened valve seets and some other stuff. he has the recipt for the rebuild from the machine shop that said he rebuilt it under 2000 miles ago so thats pretty sweet. he actually showed me the recipt but i forgot to ask to keep it. but i really appreciate the help and he said the motor came from a 77 chevy pickup and its a four bolt main. i appreciate the help and thanks
Old 08-30-2006, 04:37 AM   #18
gtfo now

In that case I'd run what you got. But when you get the bug for some bolt-ons, new high performance heads is where it's at.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:50 PM   #19
Sittin on Chrome

I got 461's and the alternator is easy to mount. You dont need holes in them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.