97 vortec 350 cam options - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

97 vortec 350 cam options

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > V8 Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password


 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2008, 10:54 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Age: 38
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 154
Location:
User is: OffLine
97 vortec 350 cam options

I am not looking ot spend too much money and have tracked down several OEM cam to replace the factory vortec cam. Which would be the best for power vs fuel economy...also without having to have any machine work done and be reliable. Tall order i know.

LT1 Cam
LT4 Cam
LT4 Hot Cam

Then I heard a few people mention and 'RV' cam...which I can find very little info on.

Any of these cams I can pick up for 150 or less...

suggestions?
Old 07-28-2008, 12:15 AM   #2
9 sec. street truck!!!
 
Formulakid1's Avatar
 
Age: 38
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,052
Location: Mississippi
User is: OffLine
Re: 97 vortec 350 cam options

RV cam is a pet peave of mine.....it simply means a cam that will produce high TQ at low rpms.
Old 07-28-2008, 12:18 AM   #3
9 sec. street truck!!!
 
Formulakid1's Avatar
 
Age: 38
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,052
Location: Mississippi
User is: OffLine
Re: 97 vortec 350 cam options

Also.....make sure whatever cam you use, has less than .470" lift or you will have to machine the heads.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:39 PM   #4
Registered User
 
nicenlow97's Avatar
 
Age: 32
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 231
Location: summerville,sc
User is: OffLine
Re: 97 vortec 350 cam options

i am running the lt4 grand sport cam but i got new heads that were cut for .525 lift and the cam sounds great.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:40 PM   #5
Registered User
 
nicenlow97's Avatar
 
Age: 32
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 231
Location: summerville,sc
User is: OffLine
Re: 97 vortec 350 cam options

and it is in a 97 vortec 355 with 9.6.1 comp and useing 1.6 roller rockers
Old 07-28-2008, 05:13 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Age: 38
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 154
Location:
User is: OffLine
Re: 97 vortec 350 cam options

what kind of gas milage you get with that and what do you think your HP is?
Old 07-28-2008, 09:24 PM   #7
the youngest has been
 
tippmann243's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,109
Location: FLORISSANT MO
User is: OffLine
Re: 97 vortec 350 cam options

Quote: Originally Posted by Formulakid1
Also.....make sure whatever cam you use, has less than .470" lift or you will have to machine the heads.
thats not true

with new springs and retainers .550"ift is possible with no machining.

i vote lt4 hot cam
Old 07-28-2008, 09:51 PM   #8
9 sec. street truck!!!
 
Formulakid1's Avatar
 
Age: 38
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,052
Location: Mississippi
User is: OffLine
Re: 97 vortec 350 cam options

Quote: Originally Posted by tippmann243
thats not true

with new springs and retainers .550"ift is possible with no machining.

i vote lt4 hot cam
That's true.
But what springs and how much are they.

If you are talking about some beehive springs, what will the cost of the springs be vs. having the heads machined plus a set of regular springs?
Old 07-28-2008, 09:52 PM   #9
9 sec. street truck!!!
 
Formulakid1's Avatar
 
Age: 38
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,052
Location: Mississippi
User is: OffLine
Re: 97 vortec 350 cam options

Also, will this motor be carbed or EFI?
Old 07-29-2008, 07:18 AM   #10
the youngest has been
 
tippmann243's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,109
Location: FLORISSANT MO
User is: OffLine
Re: 97 vortec 350 cam options

Quote: Originally Posted by Formulakid1
That's true.
But what springs and how much are they.

If you are talking about some beehive springs, what will the cost of the springs be vs. having the heads machined plus a set of regular springs?
stock ls2/ls6 springs

i paid 49.99 shipped to my door for 16 new springs and i think 50 for retainers
Old 07-29-2008, 09:17 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Age: 38
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 154
Location:
User is: OffLine
Re: 97 vortec 350 cam options

Mark, how will them spring work with the Vortec heads. No problems...if that is the case I think that will be the direction I go.

LT4 hot cam with ls2 springs.

Sound like a plan?

Also, any known issue with this setup and a stock bottom end.

BTW this will be fuel injected.

Last edited by zap-mann; 07-29-2008 at 09:20 AM.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:19 AM   #12
9 sec. street truck!!!
 
Formulakid1's Avatar
 
Age: 38
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,052
Location: Mississippi
User is: OffLine
Re: 97 vortec 350 cam options

Quote: Originally Posted by tippmann243
stock ls2/ls6 springs

i paid 49.99 shipped to my door for 16 new springs and i think 50 for retainers
Ok....if you are going to throw out advice...then give us some p/n's

What retainer did you use?
The LS1's have a 8mm valve stem and the stock retainers only fit the stock locks.

So did you use a Comp 787-16 for std Valves with a 7 degree lock or did you use a 795-16 with 10 degree locks(this will decrease your installed height btw)
Old 07-29-2008, 05:13 PM   #13
the youngest has been
 
tippmann243's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,109
Location: FLORISSANT MO
User is: OffLine
Re: 97 vortec 350 cam options

Quote: Originally Posted by Formulakid1
Ok....if you are going to throw out advice...then give us some p/n's

What retainer did you use?
The LS1's have a 8mm valve stem and the stock retainers only fit the stock locks.

So did you use a Comp 787-16 for std Valves with a 7 degree lock or did you use a 795-16 with 10 degree locks(this will decrease your installed height btw)
787-16
Old 07-29-2008, 07:15 PM   #14
Registered User
 
trailwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 175
Location:
User is: OffLine
Re: 97 vortec 350 cam options

hot rod and chevy high performance have both done reviews on the beehive springs for the vortec heads, they both gave a thumbs up for them. if you dont want to go the beehive spring route, you can buy the tool to machine your guides. it is only around 55$. another thing to remember with the vortec heads when going with a big cam or some heavy/strong springs is that the studs are pressed in and have been known to come out on some engines. screw in studs will eliminate that potential issue. just remember that beefing up the build the first time is better/cheaper than building it a second time.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:19 PM   #15
9 sec. street truck!!!
 
Formulakid1's Avatar
 
Age: 38
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,052
Location: Mississippi
User is: OffLine
Re: 97 vortec 350 cam options

Quote: Originally Posted by tippmann243
787-16
Hey man....I just reread my post.....and if I came acreoos a lil' harsh, sorry....didn't mean to.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:20 PM   #16
the youngest has been
 
tippmann243's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,109
Location: FLORISSANT MO
User is: OffLine
Re: 97 vortec 350 cam options

Quote: Originally Posted by Formulakid1
Hey man....I just reread my post.....and if I came acreoos a lil' harsh, sorry....didn't mean to.
its all good.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:33 PM   #17
Registered User
 
bkaltec's Avatar
 
Age: 27
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 146
Location: Overland Park KS
User is: OffLine
Re: 97 vortec 350 cam options

I have a comp cams 276 282 duration 502 510 lift
Old 07-30-2008, 12:16 AM   #18
Registered User
 
Age: 38
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 154
Location:
User is: OffLine
Re: 97 vortec 350 cam options

Quote: Originally Posted by trailwart
hot rod and chevy high performance have both done reviews on the beehive springs for the vortec heads, they both gave a thumbs up for them. if you dont want to go the beehive spring route, you can buy the tool to machine your guides. it is only around 55$. another thing to remember with the vortec heads when going with a big cam or some heavy/strong springs is that the studs are pressed in and have been known to come out on some engines. screw in studs will eliminate that potential issue. just remember that beefing up the build the first time is better/cheaper than building it a second time.
I have heard this also...I have always wondered what machining is involved in converting them to screw in studs. wonder why the 4.3L vortec heads had screw in studs yet the v8 didn't.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:56 AM   #19
Registered User
 
trailwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 175
Location:
User is: OffLine
Re: 97 vortec 350 cam options

probly done as a cost effective stand point for gm. if it were me i wouldnt chance the push in studs with a high lift or heavy spring rates, but thats just me. the tools for converting to screw in studs can be bought, but a machine shop would probly be the best bet for having it done right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2011, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. SEO by vBSEO 3.2.0
SEO by vBSEO
vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.