'96 Vette LT1 into a '96 S10 - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

'96 Vette LT1 into a '96 S10

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > V8 Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2009, 12:58 AM   #1

User is: OffLine
'96 Vette LT1 into a '96 S10

So, I've been dormant for a couple years now, but I'm getting back into the truck. I used to be in Norfolk, then in Bremerton, but now I'm out of the navy and living in Seattle. Love it here.

To date, I've got this on the 1996 4.3L 2WD Regular cab:
Baer track brake system
2/3 drop
Powertrax LSD
F&R sway bars
intake & exhaust
SCAT procar seats, custom center console, steering wheel, B&M ratchet shifter
Poly bushings all around (noisy as hell)
255/40/17 wheels & tires

I picked up a 1996 LT1 Vette motor & 4L60E trans for $950 and the engine looks pretty clean. I got everything off of it, down to the heads. I need to find a shop in the area (suggestions? by the look of the emptiness of the NW thread, I doubt it) and send the bottom end.

Now it's decision time. I definitely plan on a T-56, but those are proving hard to find in the used market. I may settle on a T-5.

I'm looking at http://www.summitracing.net/parts/TFS-K304-430-400/ for a top end kit.

The question is, do I rebuild the bottom end, or just have it cleaned up? If I rebuild the bottom end, wouldn't it make sense just to stroke it? Could I run a Scat or Eagle bottom end, similar to http://www.summitracing.net/parts/SCA-1-91100/ ? Would that work with the top end?

This will have to be a streetable vehicle; I plan on passing emissions with it. Am I out in la-la land with this?

I got the computers and wiring harness that went with the engine in the first place; are they going to work with my BCM? How's that wiring gonig to be?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 11-12-2009, 01:31 AM   #2

Re: '96 Vette LT1 into a '96 S10

Jared at Current Performance can hook you up with a plug and play wiring harness.

If you're looking to pass emissions, you'll probably have to run all of the O2 sensors for the LT1. You'll probably have to use some kind of stock style cats in the exhaust.

I don't see why stroking it would make the emissions any worse.

The "top end kit" you listed isn't exactly a top end kit. It's a cam and lifter kit. Top end usually includes a cam, heads, and intake. Idk, but to me that cam seems a little large. How much power are you trying to make?

The rotating assembly you listed would work fine. You would just need a nice set of heads to go along with it. No point in increasing the cubes if you're not gonna let it breathe better.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:58 PM   #3

Hello, 03 Blazer... You seem very knowledgeable and in Gulfport...me too.

Hey, quick question, I'm wanting to buy a 91 S10 with a tuned-port corvette engine in it. I have yet to see this thing except for online.
Do you think that it'll be fairly good on gas?

Quote: Originally Posted by 03blazer
Jared at Current Performance can hook you up with a plug and play wiring harness.

If you're looking to pass emissions, you'll probably have to run all of the O2 sensors for the LT1. You'll probably have to use some kind of stock style cats in the exhaust.

I don't see why stroking it would make the emissions any worse.

The "top end kit" you listed isn't exactly a top end kit. It's a cam and lifter kit. Top end usually includes a cam, heads, and intake. Idk, but to me that cam seems a little large. How much power are you trying to make?

The rotating assembly you listed would work fine. You would just need a nice set of heads to go along with it. No point in increasing the cubes if you're not gonna let it breathe better.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:10 PM   #4
376ci LSX MCSS? Say what?

dont go for the t5....hold out for the t56! u wont regret it...and X2 on the calling jared at CPW....I have a 95 z28 lt1 in my truck, ALL emissions on it, and passed emissions without a hickup at all.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:26 PM   #5

Quote: Originally Posted by Gregs93S-10
Hello, 03 Blazer... You seem very knowledgeable and in Gulfport...me too.

Hey, quick question, I'm wanting to buy a 91 S10 with a tuned-port corvette engine in it. I have yet to see this thing except for online.
Do you think that it'll be fairly good on gas?
It should as long as it's tuned properly and everything is working as it should.

Engine mods, transmission, gears, and tire size all play a part in fuel economy as well... If you have any more questions, PM me. It's not polite to thread-jack.... even though everyone is guilty of it at some point.
Old 11-20-2009, 04:14 PM   #6

Strange...I thought I had replied to this. Here we go again, then:

I'll keep Jared at CPW in mind when I get to the reassembly stage. I am definitely looking to pass emissions; this needs to be 100% streetable as an (almost) daily driver. I understand that I'll need O2 and cats.

The guys over at LS1tech.com suggested that a full 383 stroker would need too big of a cam to meet emissions, and that I should consider just a 355.

Somehow, I grabbed the wrong part number on that somehow. I was looking for the Trick Flow 430 top end kit. Looks like I grabbed a p/n from the parts list of the kit somehow. Sorry about that!

The goal was originally 400 to the wheels, but it doesn't look like I can swing that NA and still pass emissioins.

Llorracs: I found an LT1 T56. A bit pricey, 850 + shipping, but I manned up and forked it over!

Got any other thoughts?
Old 11-20-2009, 04:48 PM   #7

Just do a nice rebuild with some new pistons that will put you somewhere close to a 10:1 CR, add a nice cam (not too big), and get some port work done on the heads. I'm sure you'll be more than happy with it, especially with a T56.

Once you get ready to do it, call Jared and he'll hook you up with a complete plug and play wiring harness setup specifically for your truck and setup. Other things you'll neet will include mounts, headers, cooling system, etc...

Should be a fun truck once you get it in there.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:33 AM   #8

Quote: Originally Posted by D.Snutz
Strange...I thought I had replied to this. Here we go again, then:

I'll keep Jared at CPW in mind when I get to the reassembly stage. I am definitely looking to pass emissions; this needs to be 100% streetable as an (almost) daily driver. I understand that I'll need O2 and cats.

The guys over at LS1tech.com suggested that a full 383 stroker would need too big of a cam to meet emissions, and that I should consider just a 355.

Somehow, I grabbed the wrong part number on that somehow. I was looking for the Trick Flow 430 top end kit. Looks like I grabbed a p/n from the parts list of the kit somehow. Sorry about that!

The goal was originally 400 to the wheels, but it doesn't look like I can swing that NA and still pass emissioins.

Llorracs: I found an LT1 T56. A bit pricey, 850 + shipping, but I manned up and forked it over!

Got any other thoughts?
let me put it to you this way...when i first had my truck done with the stock lt1 and t56, i took my uncles out for a ride....the crazy one hanging on the front of my bed with no tailgate on while the other was in the pass. seat . I was going through 1st-2nd-3rd gear and my uncle looked over to me, and was like ''how fast are you going'' and i responded with 80ish....He than responded with''are you kidding me? And u still have three more gears!?''....His eyes almost popped out of his head. It was great. Nothing is better thant he t56 IMO. I love it! I get asked ''wat you got in there'' and i tell them a 355ci lt1...than when i say i got the ''6spd'' they are like HOLY SHIT! So yes its well worth it, and 850 bux isnt bad for that trans.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:27 AM   #9

I think you'd be more than happy with a setup like llorracs93s10's. You could try and get as close as possible to his setup. 4.10 gears and a T56 are like a perfect match. You wouldn't be sorry... He's gotta be running close to 350hp at least.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:03 PM   #10

I think you'd be more than happy with a setup like llorracs93s10's. You could try and get as close as possible to his setup. 4.10 gears and a T56 are like a perfect match. You wouldn't be sorry... He's gotta be running close to 350hp at least.
pssh...i wish. I need to ugrade my fuel pump, still have the stocker and its not a sufficient enough one for this motor. It put down 250rwhp/300rwtq with it running like this. Peak power was only at 4500 rpm, so i have lots more power to use. Thats about 290hp/345tq at the crank right now how it is. Id like to be a 300rwh/360rwtq when its running like it should.

And i havent gotten the 4.10s yet, but it will be this winter they are in as well as the eaton posi.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:41 PM   #11

That's odd... you should be making more than that. What heads are you running? My desktop dyno pulled 350hp with a setup similar to yours...

EDIT: Just saw you said RWHP... you're probably pretty close to 300 at the crank...
Old 11-24-2009, 10:02 AM   #12

That's odd... you should be making more than that. What heads are you running? My desktop dyno pulled 350hp with a setup similar to yours...

EDIT: Just saw you said RWHP... you're probably pretty close to 300 at the crank...
stock aluminum heads. Just has the right components this time for eh cam, ad it had a high performance 3angle valve job. No porting,...which i regret.

yea 15-18% power loss equals out ot be about 287-295hp at the crank as it sits now. I would hope the extra 1000rpms my cam has for its power band should put the crank power to around 340+...which would be about 290rwhp at 15% loss.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:27 PM   #13

Hey, thanks for the pointers guys, I appreciate it. I'm going to leave the bottom end alone for now.

Bent the tabs on the crank pulley getting it off, so I've got to go pick up a new one. Crank snout came off last night; optispark, timing cover, chain, and gears, then the cam comes out. Then I get to cleaning, and spending some money!
Old 01-15-2010, 11:22 AM   #14

started pricing parts last night for the install. I didn't see a "V8 in an S10" kit for the LT1 on Summit's website...what am I missing?

Also, any suggestions for the new oil pump? I only see 3 on there, and they are WIDELY varying in price...

FYI: Tentative cost for parts, not including the installation parts (V8 in S10 kit, exhaust bits, anything else that goes on as the engine is installed): $4100
Old 01-15-2010, 02:24 PM   #15
FFXI > WoW

Use the STOCK oil pump, that is the best advice I can give for anyone building any kind of engine. Just got to a local parts store and use whatever they stock for the engine. I would suggest upgrading to a one-piece drive rod for it though. Get rid of that vulnerable plastic sleeve.

And have you looked at the GM LT4 "top end" kit? It includes everything from the heads up and will run circles around that Trick Flow kit. http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/7109K/10002/-1
Old 01-15-2010, 02:31 PM   #16
FFXI > WoW

I forgot to mention one thing too, the LT-series engine will require a 100% internally balanced rotating assembly. So anything that will require a special balancer or flywheel/flexplate will NOT work.

The LT1 uses a special balancer that is the balancer, hub, and pulley all built into one assembly. It is short and is matched to the timing cover. And the Flywheel is a "dual-mass" type. It's got extra machining around the where the input shaft slips into the end of the crank allow for the "pull" style throw-out bearing that the F-body T56 uses.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:04 PM   #17

Maaso, thanks for the links and info! I'll grab the oil pump at the local shop; where can I get the one piece driveshaft?

What does the LT4 top end get me? More than the supposed 430 from Trick Flow? Granted, with the TF kit, I still have to pick up the LT4 intake manifold; what else does it have the TF doesn't?

I've done a bit of reading on the internally balanced setup, but hadn't gotten far enough to pick the flywheel yet.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:25 PM   #18

go to jagsthatrun.com they have a book that has the lt1 swap in it. Doesnt have all the info needed, but has a decent amount.

for my swap, i used 2.8 motor mounts from them, vette radiator from them, sanderson headers from them, kept the steering shaft in its original spot, notched frame for ac compressor. other than that, pretty straight forward man.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:47 PM   #19

I've had the jagsthatrun book for a couple years now. Haven't read it in awhile, so that's definitely due. It's also based on the original S10, I've got a 96, so there will be some differences. I enjoyed the "minor massage" they recommend the sledge for...

Any word on the the LT4 setup would be better?
Old 01-19-2010, 06:27 PM   #20
S - I - C

Quote: Originally Posted by Maaso
I forgot to mention one thing too, the LT-series engine will require a 100% internally balanced rotating assembly. So anything that will require a special balancer or flywheel/flexplate will NOT work.

The LT1 uses a special balancer that is the balancer, hub, and pulley all built into one assembly. It is short and is matched to the timing cover. And the Flywheel is a "dual-mass" type. It's got extra machining around the where the input shaft slips into the end of the crank allow for the "pull" style throw-out bearing that the F-body T56 uses.
LT1's are externally balanced by the flexplate/flywheel. If you go with an internally balanced rotating assembly, but use the factory LT1 flywheel you're going to want to get the flywheel neutrally balanced.

I've had the jagsthatrun book for a couple years now. Haven't read it in awhile, so that's definitely due. It's also based on the original S10, I've got a 96, so there will be some differences. I enjoyed the "minor massage" they recommend the sledge for...

Any word on the the LT4 setup would be better?
Mechanically, there isn't much difference between putting a v8 in a 1st gen compared to doing it in a 2nd gen. Same frames/front suspensions/steering. The just look different on the outside. Also, your truck has a 4.3. If you can try to switch the frame side engine mounts to 2.8 mounts, and use the adapters for that. The 2.8 mounts are alot stronger than the 4.3 mounts for v8 swaps.

Are you still in Silverdale like your profile says or did you move? If you're still in Silverdale I have a buddy close by in Poulsbo. I go over there on the weekends. It's where my LT1 project truck is.

Also, it is possible to build a 383 LT1 and have it pass emissions, especially here in Washington. Our emissions are pretty lax.

Last edited by DROPTSBLAZE; 01-19-2010 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:39 PM   #21

Oops. I should have updated that; I was a semi-active member long ago. I moved to Seattle in 2008; I'm now in Ravenna, north of the U District. I do still have the house over there. Sadly, emissions in King & Pierce county require at least a computer check, and I'm not sure how it'll react when I tell the state's lemming, "Sure, it's a 5.7L S10." Regardless, for cost reasons, I'm going with the stock bottom end.

I was planning on going with the summit V8 S10 conversion kit to take care of the motor mounts, but they don't have anything for the LT1. They have specific for GenIII and GenI, but nothing GenII. I haven't bothered to call them yet.

Motor mounts, flexplates, etc will be for after I get the engine put back together, but I do appreciate the input.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:47 PM   #22
S - I - C

You'll want the genI S10 conversion kit. The LT1 will use the same motor mounts and headers. It's just a small block with some 'updates'.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:12 PM   #23

thksdood..

any thoughts on Trick Flow versus LT4?
Old 01-22-2010, 09:27 PM   #24
S - I - C

Since you're not looking to do anything crazy with the motor I'd lean towards the LT4 stuff.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:23 AM   #25

Hey all, it's been awhile. I'm making some good progress, and am getting more and more excited about it now that the cleaning is done. HOWEVER, I've run into a problem.

As I said, I'm doing top end only, and leaving the bottom end alone. I've reinstalled everything on the front of the engine, and got the passenger side head installed and torqued tonight. Details.

The problem is, I found THIS on the floor of the basement tonight:

I think it's the ball bearing that is installed into the left rear mains seal prior to the cap installation; it must have shaken out somehow during the rebuild.

I tried reinstalling it through the hole in the cap, which is curved, and it eventually popped out through the oil filter assembly. It's either the wrong hole (hah), or it won't lodge into the right tapered slot.

What do I do? Any other thoughts on where it goes? Can I just pull the rear main cap, install the ball bearing, and reinstall the cap? What affect does that have on the rest of the crank bearings, etc?

Please tell me this isn't going to mean pulling the crank out!!!!!!
Old 08-09-2010, 02:55 PM   #26

sorry...looks like I lost the picture somehow. Here it is again:

Also, I measured the bearing today, and it's only 0.3755", so it can't be the 0.473" that it takes to block that passage. Any ideas where a 3/8" ball bearing goes in an LT1??
Old 10-21-2010, 05:59 PM   #27

Still working...but it's looking better!
Old 12-22-2010, 12:37 PM   #28

Hey everyone, still plugging along. I've got the old 4.3L out, and I'm doing some cleanup and prep work for dropping the new beast in.

I have one big problem though: I can't find a clutch pedal and bracket to save my life. I've been to the stealer, and they're discontinued, although they have a company that will sell the pair to me for $800. Yeah, they can take that and shove it...

Anyone have any idea where to get one? Anyone got one lying around their garage?? Ebay is no good, GM Parts Warehouse.com is no good, GMPartsGiant is a pain in the butt....

Thanks!
Old 12-28-2010, 08:50 PM   #29

Hey everyone, still plugging along. I've got the old 4.3L out, and I'm doing some cleanup and prep work for dropping the new beast in.

I have one big problem though: I can't find a clutch pedal and bracket to save my life. I've been to the stealer, and they're discontinued, although they have a company that will sell the pair to me for $800. Yeah, they can take that and shove it...

Anyone have any idea where to get one? Anyone got one lying around their garage?? Ebay is no good, GM Parts Warehouse.com is no good, GMPartsGiant is a pain in the butt....

Thanks!

Try finding totaled camaro/firebird or gto and rig parts and keep that optispark dry. I don't know what gm waas thinking putting distributor behind water pump
Old 12-29-2010, 04:56 PM   #30

Do not believe 90% of the stuff you read on ls1tech.

Now that I got that out of my way. The amount of money you are looking at spending on your top end i.e. heads, cam, lifters etc etc have you thought about getting a custom set? We went to GOLEN ENGINES in CT and got our top end spec'd out . Alot less than the guys on ls1tech and alot less than Trickflow. It puts down HIGH 300's through a slipping single disc converter on drag radials on motor. THe converter issue has been fixed

Ok, on to the business. We used 2.8 frame mounts, JTR engine mounts and moved the engine all the way back. Taurus electric fan. (going to switch to lt1 fans) and the transmission bolted into factory crossmember. But than again we are still a 4l60e (built) and I do not know about the t56 setup.

btw, no matter what people say. Do not underestimate the LT1
http://s280.photobucket.com/albums/k...t=MVI_1032.mp4
4k+ lbs on motor
Old 01-01-2011, 11:34 PM   #31

LXtasy, thanks for the recommendation, but I'm about 6 months past that decision. The picture is with everything already installed, and the weblink "S350 Build" in my sig is the progress.

Friend of mine found a clutch pedal in a pick-a-part in Virginia, so I think I'm good to go there!
Old 01-02-2011, 09:17 AM   #32

Man, wish I would have seen this thread a long time ago.

LT4 heads aren't worth the money unless you're planning on hogging them out beyond the capabilities of standard LT1 heads (and that takes some $$). LT1 heads are capable of flowing 300+ cfm, seen it many times.

I lived in Tacoma for over 10 years and was/am in a car club up there for most of that time that mainly consisted of F and Y-bodies. You have an LT1 guru living right under your nose in Monroe, WA. He has a full-interior '95 LT1 Z28 that runs 9's (I think that's changed recently). He does any/all LT/LS motor builds, tuning, installs, suspension work, fabrication, and builds transmissions for a living. He's one of the only people I know that can build a 4L60E to CONSISTENTLY handle 10-second passes reliably.

He doesn't advertise publicly, you have to dig him out as he stays plenty busy building people's cars. If you talk with him and show him you're interested in making serious reliable power he'll help you, otherwise BS walks out the door. I guarantee you'll get what you pay for if you use his services.

http://www.ssefi.com -- < his phone number is in there.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:35 PM   #33

Hey Brent, thanks for the lead. I may be going to him sooner, rather than later.

Well, the LT1 is in, and I fired it for the first time last night. It's a MEAN sounding son of a gun without an exhaust system!!!!

http://s350.wordpress.com

I've got a couple of issues I was hoping you can help me with. I've been through the books and the Google, and haven't found anything yet. Maybe you guys know something.

First, some basics about the install, so you don't have to go read the whole thread. It's a 96 S10. I replaced the fuel pump about 6 months before the truck came down for the engine swap, and it ran great on the V6. It's a 95 LT1, backed by a T56. Trick Flow top end (heads, cam, 1.6RR, etc), aeromotive fuel pressure regulator. New optispark, waterpump. Current Performance Wiring harness, running both the original V6 PCM and an LT1 PCM. I have the V6 radiator in there, with a pair of pusher-type Flex-a-lite fans mounted in place of the AC condensor. It's got a 180F thermostat now, but the fans are set for a 160 Tstat, and I'll be switching it soon, as well as adding an oil cooler. It is intended to be emissions legal.

1. Fuel pressure: the pump primes just fine. I've got the aeromotive set to give about 58 lbs on prime, works great. Pressure drops to 20lbs after about 10 seconds after the priming stops. The engine starts after about 1 second when I turn the key, but you can watch the fuel pressure go to zero while the engine is running, and then it stops. I pulled the fuel pump relay and shorted the power contacts, started the engine up and it ran like a champ. Strong, non-hesitating, LOTS of noise! I went through all my initial start up checks, and it seems to run great. Of course, as soon as I pull the jumper lead, the engine dies since the fuel pump stops running. SO--the pump primes when you turn the key to on; what tells it to start running AGAIN after the engine starts?

2. Oil pressure: when priming the engine with oil on the starter (coil disconnected), my oil pressure gauge pegged high. Once the engine started, it stayed high. Does this mean my oil pressure sender is bad? Is THIS related to the fueling problem above? I know in some applications, the PCM uses the presence of oil pressure to restart the fuel pump (my diesel suburban is this way, and I think the older TBI 350s were this way).

3. Dipstick calibration: I'm running a Canton Racing 8 quart oil pan with a Canton dipstick. How do I calibrate it? 7 quarts puts me right in band on the dipstick, without cycling oil through the engine. Is that close enough, do you think? Is THIS related to my oil pressure problem above?

4. Lastly, temperature: my temp gauge didn't appear to move after 15 minutes of running the engine. I know there are two temperature senders, one in the head and one in the water pump. One is used (the one in the head) for the temperature gauge on the dash. One is used for the PCM (in the water pump). I guess this one I just need to check the sensor out; I know there's a resistance reading I can do for that one.

I know it's a lot; thanks so much for any suggestions! Especially for the fueling issue; that's the biggest question I have, and the one I'm not sure how to address.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.