96 4.3 to 5.7 swap questions - S-10 Forum
S-10 Forum is the resource on GM S-series trucks, Suspension, engine information, Body Modifications, painting tutorials.  Modifications to suit every need, budget and whim

96 4.3 to 5.7 swap questions

Go Back   S-10 Forum > Engine and Drivetrain Tech > V8 Discussion
New User? Register Forgot Password

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2008, 10:23 PM   #1
anyone want to help?

User is: OffLine
96 4.3 to 5.7 swap questions

I have a 96 s10 with a 4.3. i also have a 5.7 out of a 97 fullsize truck that will be using. I have the jtr motor mounts and patriot headers as well for the swap.

my questions are:

1. Am I better off trying to keep my vortec 5.7 fuel injected or should i just carb it as fuel economy for the truck is not a major concern?

2. If i keep it fuel injected, I believe i need the computer from the 5.7, and what else do i need to do to wire/plum it?

3. If i go with a carb setup, how big of carb should i run? also what do i need to do to wire/plumb it? and do i need the 4.3 computer for this setup?

any help is appreciated. i dont really need a step by step how to but even if I can get a general idea. get me headed in the right direction.
Old 03-26-2008, 03:33 PM   #2
cool to the tool

Re: 96 4.3 to 5.7 swap questions

if your 4.3 and 5.7 are both the "spider" injection (1 injector for each cylinder) you should only need to add 2 wires for the extra injectors and change a few things on the pinouts at the computer. You can subscribe to ACDelco and get the wiring diagrams for both vehicles for about $20, well worth it.

if both vehicles have 4l60e's the tranny wiring shouldnt need any modding (i think)
Old 03-26-2008, 06:22 PM   #3

Youve got a super easy swap on your hands. The 5.7 will swap in no problems. Fuel lines will hook right up. The v6 engine wire harness will work on the v8, but, you will need the v8 fuel injector plug. And weave/solder in the (4 total, 2+ 2-) extra wires for the fuel injectors. Youll need the wire diagrams to do this to setup the correct pins. It gets a little tricky with the 96 trucks because the abs is computer controled that year. So you can either try to use the v6 computer and have it reprogramed, ive never done this so couldnt give any insight on it. Or use an abs module from a 95 blazer, which is stand alone. You also have the option of removing the abs all together. All guages and functions of the truck will remain the same. Trany, driveshaft and rear will all work with the v8, no mods. I would recommend using a corvette radiator, late 80's model and in the foward position (inside the radiator support. And electric fan. Also, sell the v8 swap manual while you can, theres realy not a lot of info in there for 2nd gen trucks. If you have any doubts, think of the vortec v8 as a vortec v6, its pretty much the same thing.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:31 PM   #4
anyone want to help?

thanks for the information. have you done the swap yourself or not? also could i just get the computer from the 5.7 and plug in the connector? that way i wouldn't need to solder in wire? just wondering. oh and i plan on ditching the abs. let me know please
Old 03-26-2008, 11:14 PM   #5

I have a side question, not to steal your post from ya.

I have a 95 4.3 4x4 tbi....would this swap be fairly easy into my truck as well, or would it be a bit of a bitch?

Would I just have to get the ecu and harness from another s10 or from a v8 donor truck or would there be more too it?
Old 03-27-2008, 02:26 AM   #6
cool to the tool

Quote: Originally Posted by ntloenf
thanks for the information. have you done the swap yourself or not? also could i just get the computer from the 5.7 and plug in the connector? that way i wouldn't need to solder in wire? just wondering. oh and i plan on ditching the abs. let me know please
I did this swap in my 98 blazer, slightly different but same basic idea. if you got the whole harness from the 5.7, you need two (-) wires running from the injector harness on the intake to the computer, than you can piggyback off the pink hotwires that are there from the other cylinders.

97's had a 5th connector for abs. so just leave it disconnected and you should be fine.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:27 AM   #7
cool to the tool

Quote: Originally Posted by ominus
I have a side question, not to steal your post from ya.

I have a 95 4.3 4x4 tbi....would this swap be fairly easy into my truck as well, or would it be a bit of a bitch?

Would I just have to get the ecu and harness from another s10 or from a v8 donor truck or would there be more too it?
it would be a pain if the 5.7 was cspi. if the new engine was also tbi it is fairly easy but i dont know what exactly needs to be done.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:31 PM   #8

humm...what are my best options for finding a 5.7? I have look around here abit, at wrecking yards and what not....but I am not sure what all had the 5.7
Old 03-30-2008, 12:17 PM   #9
cool to the tool

full size chevy & gmc trucks like the 96-99 c1500 and k1500
chevy tahoe same years

those are a couple to get you started.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:00 PM   #10

Quote: Originally Posted by ntloenf
I have a 96 s10 with a 4.3. i also have a 5.7 out of a 97 fullsize truck that will be using. I have the jtr motor mounts and patriot headers as well for the swap.

my questions are:

1. Am I better off trying to keep my vortec 5.7 fuel injected or should i just carb it as fuel economy for the truck is not a major concern?

2. If i keep it fuel injected, I believe i need the computer from the 5.7, and what else do i need to do to wire/plum it?

3. If i go with a carb setup, how big of carb should i run? also what do i need to do to wire/plumb it? and do i need the 4.3 computer for this setup?

any help is appreciated. i dont really need a step by step how to but even if I can get a general idea. get me headed in the right direction.
This is by far one of the easier swaps and cheaper swaps. The 4.3 and the 5.7 are one in the same. It is much easier to junkyard up the motor and computer, and get the wiring diagrams for the extra two cylinders needed. The majority of parts are interchange for the most part.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:24 PM   #11
"Phat"boy

Quote: Originally Posted by ominus
humm...what are my best options for finding a 5.7? I have look around here abit, at wrecking yards and what not....but I am not sure what all had the 5.7
2500 GM vans had the 5.7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the S-10 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.