S-10 Forum banner

9 inch Ford

6K views 38 replies 12 participants last post by  10.5_SUCKS 
#1 ·
Ok........I just found a broke Zexel carrier residing inside my rearend!

Screw it!!!! I am going to have a 9" built!
Any good suggestions on who to use(ie...Moser, Strange etc etc)?

#6 ·
As for the 8.8 deal.
I had thought of that.....but I really want a 9" due to future plans, and I only want to do this once.

Future plans means 454 sbc and an ATI Procharger!
ok ok.....I might end up doing a 427 or something small like that.......but it will be 400+ cubes and blown.......with a FAST FI on it.

#9 ·
Everybackhalf kit on earth uses a 9" and I havent seen many people go with a 8.8" over a 9" thats why I want to see it on paper what the 8.8" saves you on hp vs the 9"...If there is no proof then it's probrably b/s...Cause you know SOMEBODY would have done a dyno test by now...
I would get a 9" I can't see it taking no more hp to turn realisticaly....

#12 ·
#13 ·
I would pick Strange over any of the rest. Just because they don't shorten axles doesn't mean they're no good.

Go to your local track and look at what most of the guys are running.

I used to have a nice Strange Pro Mod 9" housing for my 25.1C 68' firebird project. What a monster.

#14 ·
Not only do they not shorten axles they dont do any work anymore. With Moser you can send them your rear,axles,3rd member, etc, and have them build it. With Strange they do only their new stuff. It troubles me when i call someone with THEIR product and they say "send it to the other guys". Don't get me wrong i like Strange stuff but it seems their only for the big boys anymore.

#17 ·
thats my suggestion currie builds all their own stuff now no junkyard cores redone dont get me wrong theres nothing wrong with a junkyard core but when im buyin a brand new part i want it brand new. Their bolt in rear is pricey but hey its a strong piece and you dont have ta wait for your parts to come in from several different places the whole thing shows up and you roll it under the truck and go racing

#20 ·
build your own...save the $$ been there done that.
Go with Moser axles...Stock "N" 3rd member

Oh and if you can't wait till your parts get it then your in the wrong hobby...save teh $ build it you will appreciate your ride alot more when you actually do the work.

#21 ·
10.5_SUCKS said:
Everybackhalf kit on earth uses a 9" and I havent seen many people go with a 8.8" over a 9" thats why I want to see it on paper what the 8.8" saves you on hp vs the 9"...If there is no proof then it's probrably b/s...Cause you know SOMEBODY would have done a dyno test by now...
I would get a 9" I can't see it taking no more hp to turn realisticaly....
As I stated earlier a 9 inch will take more horsepower to turn. I recommended a 8.8 because it was a easy swap that can be done cheaply. I have done 3 with no problems. Explorer rears can be had for as little as $200 for a complete 4:10 posi from nearly any wrecker because they are so many junk explorers. The ring gear of the 8.8 is just that . a 12 bolt is 8.875 the even share some of the same bearings. Seems like ford almost copied the 12 bolt with its. I'm not arguing that the 9 inch isn't a good rear... I was just stating that economically a 8.8 with 31 spline axles .rebuilding the posi with the high performance ford motorsports posi, will be cheap and easy to do. I understand where everyone is coming from and I make it a point to not make unfounded accusations. I take it your tubbed truck has a 9" under it.

#26 ·
10.5_SUCKS said:
build your own...save the $$ been there done that.
Go with Moser axles...Stock "N" 3rd member

Oh and if you can't wait till your parts get it then your in the wrong hobby...save teh $ build it you will appreciate your ride alot more when you actually do the work.
your right you can save some money by doin it yourself . moser makes kick ass parts im runnin a set of their axles in my truck right now but you cant tell me about appreciating your own work every nut and bolt in or on my truck ive turned myself paint and body by me I build my own engines Ive set up my suspension and there isnt a guy or gal for that matter around who takes more pride in their ride than I do! Are there faster trucks yep are there more extreme trucks yep are there sweeter lookin trucks yep but my truck is MINE and its been down for the last 3 years waitin on either parts to come in or money to buy parts so I believe my patience is well execersized theres nothing wrong with ordering a bolt in rear end if you got the cash to do it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.