Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Mad Max is offline
Re: 350 s10 rear end
The 8.8 explorer rear ends bolt into the S10. The axle tubes are 3", (bigger than the S10). The differential is offset to the passenger side by about 2", so you may have an issue with your exhaust system. The 8.5" GM rear came in the 4.3 High Output 5 speed extreme only. They were also in the Syclone and Typhoon - good luck finding one. The S10 joint in Florida was asking $950 for one on ebay. You can also use the 1999 - 2004 disc brake rear from a Jimmy/Blazer. I have one in my truck with 4.10 gears and an Eaton Posi unit. They are stout enough to handle a pretty good small block as long as you don't run slicks and a 5 speed. Check the glove box build code - G80 before the axle code is a posi. The axle codes are: GU2 = 2.73, GU4 = 3.08, GU5 = 3.23, GU6 = 3.42, GT4 = 3.73 (also GQ1), GT5 = 4.10, HC4 = 4.56 (very rare), HO4 = 4.11 (also rare). G80 before the axle code is a posi. Pre 99 rears might have the governor lock unit for the posi set up - this is not such a good unit since it slams when traction is lost on one wheel. They tend to grenade more easily.
This would probably make a good sticky...
S10 addiction: (1)'82 S10, 383, 700R4, Shorty,
(2) '85 S10, 3.4, 700R4 4x4 stretch cab (Redneck Truck), (3) '90 S10 2.5, 5 speed shorty,
(4) '91 S10, Built 3.4, 5 speed shorty (Voodoo Truck), (5) '92 S10, 2.5, 5 speed shorty, (Barbie Truck),
(6) '83 S10, 327, TH 350, shorty (13.00 best),
(7) '92 S10, 2.5 5 speed, Shorty,
(8) 1979 LUV, Buick 3.8 V6, TH 350 Shorty.